Visitors

Sunday, June 29, 2008

My world has changed

Oh wow.. one minute life is going as normal, then the next, the floor is pulled out from under me. I'm from a family of 2 brothers and 2 sisters. My father died when I was 8 (back in 1976). My Mother died 4 years ago.

I received a phone call Monday night from my sister-in-law, Donna. Donna's neighbor saw a sheriff deputy's car at her house several times during the day. When Donna got home, her neighbor told her about the sheriff's cars being there. Donna tried to call my brother, Rod, at his hotel. Rod was on the road to Lynchburg, VA for work. When she called the hotel, they said that he had not checked in yet. She called me right before calling the sheriff's department so I knew something was wrong. Then she called the sheriff's department, thinking there had been a break-in. Sadly, the sheriff's department told Donna over the phone that Rod was found in his truck, 911 was called and they were not able to revive him and that she needed to call a number in NC. Why they gave her this news over the telephone ~ I'll never know.
She called me, I couldn't understand anything she was saying so, at this point, I didn't know what exactly had taken place but I knew IT WAS BAD. I reached her house in 20 minutes, during that time, my sister Linda had called me to tell me what was going on. Linda had called the phone number in NC for Donna. I heard what Linda said but I didn't process it. I just knew I had to get to Donna's house. Once I reached her house, walked inside, that is when the I came to the realization that my brother was no longer here.

He passed away on June 23rd, exactly 1 week before his & Donna's 30th anniversary. They had the best life together. They were best friends. The only couple I've ever known that have never truly argued. They never had children, they took many vacations and had just gotten back from a week long Riverboat trip 8 days earlier. It was a trip that he had always wanted to take.

I will be posting a picture of Rod & Donna on their trip soon.

I miss my brother tremendously. There will never be a day that I won't think of him. He was one-of-a kind and the mold was broken when he was born. There will be a empty spot in my life forever. He gave me so many AWESOME memories! He was always there when I needed him. He was my father figure, he was a great friend, he would show up without calling and hang out with us for an afternoon just shooting the breeze. He always picked on me like brother's do to their little sister's. He was Donna's soulmate and I just cannot imagine how lost she feels without him.
She is a strong, independent person and I know she will find the strength to get through the next days, weeks, months and years. Please keep her, along with the rest of our family, in your thoughts.

Here is a link to the obituary:

http://www.legacy.com/independentmail/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonID=112210448

Eastin with Uncle Rod at the Lake Keowee Marina. She was so scared of the Jolly Roger and he kept making it come on and dance. He picked on her all of the time.

A fun day cruising the lake.


Rod, Russ and Eastin at the dock watching hot air balloons going over our house.

2 comments:

nic said...

oh, sweetie. i'm so, so sorry.

Whitney :) said...

Hey Kris ... i was so sorry to see this! I lost my dad this past march. It's never easy losing someone you love --

miss chatting with ya!

whitney :)