Visitors

Thursday, August 21, 2008

The drought is in stage three

(click any picture to view larger)

It is so sad looking out over what used to be a gorgeous, full lake. The levels are down, dropping inches daily and the forecast looks even worse! Lake Hartwell flows down to the Savannah River which feeds the ocean. If the Savannah River gets too low, the salt water from the ocean can come upstream and throw the whole eco balance off! I heard that there is a chance the lake will be dropped an additional 10'. There is talk that all boat landings will be closed, the docks at the Marina which hold the houseboats will have to be relocated and the gas dock closed. We are rapidly approaching a huge shelf/drop-off which means our dock will be in deep water but the drawback is, it will be in the main channel of the lake. I went over a bridge the other day and the only thing under the bridge was fields of waist high grass, absolutely no water!


Here are a few pictures I snapped as we went on a "treasure hunt". with the lake levels down, we never know what we'll find! I'm hoping for a huge diamond ring :) We've found several pair of reading glasses, sunglasses, atleast five pocket knives, numerous hammers, wrenches, cell phones... My sister let me borrow her metal detector so if the heat and humidity would drop a little bit ~ I would love to spend a day walking miles of shore.




I'll keep you all posted on our treasures :)

No comments: